Two Children Killed By Bombs In Northern Afghanistan

KABUL — Two children have been killed and at least eight other people wounded after two bombs went off near-simultaneously in the northern Afghan city of Mazar-e Sharif, officials say.

Adil Shah Adil, the spokesman for Balkh Province’s police chief, said the blasts took place on a road in the provincial capital on January 14.

Those killed in the explosions were aged 14 and 10, the spokesman said.

The wounded included civilians and a member of the Afghan security forces.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack but the Taliban has stepped up attacks in Balkh Province and elsewhere in northern Afghanistan in recent weeks.

Earlier this month, an improvised explosive device attached to a vehicle exploded in Mazar-e Sharif, killing a local resident and wounding at least two others, according to police.

With reporting by AP and Tolo News
Print
Copyright (c) 2014. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Ste 400, Washington DC 20036.

Discussion

 

 

 

Get daily news from Radio Free in your inbox, without ads, completely free.

Our e-mail list is managed by Radio Free.  We never share your personal data with third parties. More about privacy.

 

Support Independent Journalism

We are volunteer based and never take money from corporations, keeping our publications in the interests of people, not profits.

Donate  $2 a month  to support independent media.