The Committee to Protect Journalists joined eight other press freedom organizations in a joint statement on Friday, July 29, calling on the Maltese government to implement the recommendations put forward in the public inquiry report on investigative journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia’s murder and ensure the effective protection of journalists.
On the one-year anniversary of the report’s publication, the statement says that although the report “provided a historic opportunity” for the Maltese authority to restore the rule of law and avoid an assassination like that of Daphne Caruana Galizia ever happening again, Maltese authorities failed to implement necessary changes. “The changes introduced so far are token gestures, rather than urgently needed, radical and effective change,” the statement said.
The full statement can be read here.
This content originally appeared on Committee to Protect Journalists and was authored by Jennifer Dunham.