Comprehensive coverage of the day’s news with a focus on war and peace; social, environmental and economic justice.
- Government shutdown risk spikes as House Republicans leave town in disarray amid hard-right revolt to passing a spending bill.
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York holds individual votes for high level military nominees, sidestepping Republican Senator Tommy Tuberville’s months-long block on military promotions.
- Ukraine’s president Volodomyr Zelensky made a whirlwind trip to Washington to shore up support for the fight against Russia.
- Rupert Murdoch is stepping down as leader of both Fox’s parent company and his News Corp. media holdings.
- California state lawmakers joined community activists and gun violence survivors to urge Governor Gavin Newsom to sign into law proposed legislation that would fund school safety and violence prevention programs.
- California sues two anti-abortion organizations for misleading women and advertising a scientifically unproven procedure called abortion pill reversal.
- Oakland’s unhoused community calls for increased protection and support from the city as homeless residents say they have been subject to increased violence, harassment and evictions.
The post The Pacifica Evening News, Weekdays – September 21, 2023 appeared first on KPFA.
This content originally appeared on KPFA - The Pacifica Evening News, Weekdays and was authored by KPFA.