Below is a curated list of available resources for broadcast operations.
Clocks & Studio Screens
- OnAirScreen – Cross-platform “OnAir Lamp” solution targeted for use in professional broadcast environments.
- PiClock – Customisable network based displays of clocks, on-air, mic live and other studio indicators.
- PiRSClock-Full – Radio Studio Clock with studio indicators for mics, telephones etc.
- FLAC – Free Lossless Audio Coding, used by some broadcasters for audio exchange, storage.
- Lame – A high quality MPEG Audio Layer III (MP3) encoder.
- opencore-amr – Audio codecs extracted from Android Open Source Project, including AAC.
- Opus – A totally open, royalty-free, highly versatile audio codec.
- Turing Codec – An H.265/HEVC open source software encoder designed for fast and efficient video compression.
- TwoLame – An MPEG Audio Layer 2 (MP2) encoder.
- dial-discovery-ios – A library for the discovery of devices via the DIAL protocol on the iOS platform.
- dvbcss-synckit-ios – iOS libraries for companion screen applications that are synchronised frame-accurately to a TV.
- dvbcss-synctiming – A system for measuring how accurately a TV or companion are synchronised.
- pydvbcss – Implementation of the DVB Companion Screens and Streams protocols for synchronised media playback.
- Cross-Platform Authentication – CPA offers an open standard for associating any media device with an online identity.
- HbbPlayer – An HbbTV and W3C specifications compliant application that can playback media from a URL.
- TAL – The TV Application Layer (TAL) is an open source library for building applications for Connected TV devices.
Distributed Media Processing
- StormCV – Apache Storm + OpenCV = large scale distributed image and video analysis.
- Kronekeeper – A web based application for recording and managing Krone frame records.
DVB & WiFi
- DTT 2 IP – Broadcast to IP conversion for Wifi indoor coverage.
- DVB Inspector – An open-source DVB analyzer.
- DVBlast – A simple and powerful MPEG-2/TS demux and streaming application.
- dvbshout – Tool to send DVB audio to a shoutcast server or a RTP stream.
- Opencaster – A free and open source MPEG2 transport stream data generator and packet manipulator.
- Project X – DVB demux tool.
- ts2mpa – Simple tool to extract MPEG Audio from a MPEG Transport Stream (TS).
- TSDuck – Extensible toolkit for MPEG/DVB transport streams testing, monitoring, integration, debugging, and more.
- WiFiBroadcast – Analog-like transmission of live video data.
Animation, Graphics & Video Playout
- Aurena – A network distributed media playback system.
- Blender – 3D creation suite supporting 3D modelling, animation, motion tracking, video editing, and more.
- CasparCG – A professional graphics and video play-out software, proven in 24/7 broadcasts since 2006.
- ffplayout – Python and FFmpeg based playout from folder or playlists.
- Macadam – Blackmagic Node.js bindings that support HTML/CSS (via Electron) and SVG (via Sevruga) graphics.
- Nebula – Media asset management and broadcast automation system.
- Open Playout Automation – A CasparCG-based MCR play-out system.
- ossia – A free and open-source intermedia sequencer.
- Sofie – TV Automation – MOS-driven automation system for news casts, with many libraries for e.g. device control.
- RadioDNS for Node.js – Perform RadioDNS resolutions and service lookups in node.js.
- RadioDNS Manager – Platform to manage Hybrid Radio services, e.g. RadioVIS, RadioEPG and Service Following.
- RadioVIS Demo – RadioVIS client application in Python.
- RadioVIS Html Player – RadioVIS Player using WebSocket.
- RadioVIS Stomp Server – RadioVIS STOMP server written in node.js.
Audio/Video over IP & Streaming
- butt – broadcast using this tool (butt) is an easy to use, multi OS streaming tool. It supports SHOUTcast and Icecast.
- Cool Mic – Android audio livestreaming Icecast source client app.
- DarkIce – Live audio streamer that records and encodes from an audio interface and sends to a streaming server.
- EBU LIST – Live IP Software Toolkit to assist EBU members in the implementation of IP based facilities.
- Icecast – Streaming media (audio/video) server which supports Ogg (Vorbis and Theora), Opus, WebM and MP3.
- IRIS Broadcast – A project founded in Sweden to publish Open Source software for professional radio broadcasts.
- Kamailio – Open SIP server, commonly used for Audio contribution over IP using SIP (EBU ACIP).
- See the NMOS list for the AMWA Networked Media Open Specifications and open source implementations and tools.
- OpenOB – Open Outside Broadcast project for radio contribution links and studio-transmitter links based on Opus.
- PJSIP – Open Source multimedia library implementing SIP, SDP, RTP, STUN, TURN, and ICE.
- trx – A simple toolset for broadcasting live audio from Linux.
- GPAC – Multimedia player, packager and tools.
- IDJC – A GTK+ Shoutcast/Icecast client with two main media players.
- Kodi – A software media player and entertainment hub for digital media.
- Media4DPlayer – HTML5 player focused on accessibility.
- MPD – A flexible, powerful, server-side application for playing music.
- mpg123 – A fast console MPEG Audio Player and decoder library.
- Mixxx – A free, open source DJ software.
- Peaks.js – Browser-based audio waveform visualisation.
- VLC – Simple, fast and powerful media player.
- BMXlib – Library and utilities to read and write broadcasting media files. Primarily supports the MXF file format.
- EBUCore – The Github for maintenance of the EBUCore schema.
- jebu-core – Java port of EBU Tech 3293 EBU Core metadata, including the Audio Definition Model.
- libadm – Audio Definition Model (ITU-R BS.2076) handling C++11 library.
- libklvanc – C library for ancillary data extraction from SDI and SMPTE ST 2110-40 (CEA-708, AFD, SCTE-104, etc.).
- MAJ API – Pure Java library for reading and writing MXF and AAF files.
- SDPoker – CLI tool and library for testing SMPTE ST2110 SDP files.
- TV-Anytime – The TV-Anytime schema github maintenance page.
Monitoring & Quality Control
- BeaqleJS – A framework to create browser based listening tests for subjective audio quality assessment.
- Jack Meter – Text console based DPM (Digital Peak Meter) for JACK.
- JACK Meterbridge – A collection of graphical Audio meters for JACK (ballistics may be incorrect).
- Jmeters – A collection of graphical audio meters for JACK, including VU, PPM and EBU R 128 Loudness meters.
- LTC-tools – A collection of tools to handle Linear Timecode (LTC) and convert to MIDI Timecode (MTC).
- MediaConch – Implementation checker, policy checker, & reporter for Matroska, FFV1, & PCM.
- MediaInfo – A convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files.
- MXF Inspect – A Windows tool to display the internal structure of an MXF (Material eXchange Format) file.
- Pi Audio Monitor – Audio Monitoring for Raspberry Pi, supports S/PDIF, AES3, AES67, Livewire and Ravenna.
- Photon – Implementation of the SMPTE Interoperable Master Format (IMF) standard.
- QCTools – Quality Control tools for video preservation to analyse digitized video files.
- Rotter – Recording of Transmissions / Audio Logger for JACK.
- silan – Audiofile silence analyzer.
- SilentJack – Dead-air / Silence detector for JACK.
- Sonic Visualiser – An application for viewing and analysing the contents of music audio files.
- VMAF – Perceptual video quality assessment based on multi-method fusion.
- Wisual – A web service for Visual Quality Assessment, which supports PSNR, SSIM, VQM, etc.
Multimedia content processing
- AvTranscoder – FFmpeg/LibAV-based high-level API to re-wrap or transcode media, with bindings for Java and Python.
- Beam Coder – Node.js native bindings to FFmpeg, with support for asynchronous processing via promises and streams.
- Bento4 – Full-featured MP4 format and MPEG DASH C++ class library and tools.
- Brave – Basic Real-time AV Editor – lets you preview, mix, and route live audio and video streams on the cloud.
- Codem-isoboxer A small browser-based MPEG-4 (ISOBMFF) parser.
- Dynamorse – IT swiss army knife – a Node-RED media pipeline builder, adding professional media processing nodes.
- EBU ADM Renderer – Reference implementation of the EBU ADM Renderer (EBU Tech 3388)
- FFmbc – FFmpeg customized for broadcast and professional usage.
- FFmpeg – A cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video. Supports SMPTE ST 2110.
- Flowblade – A multitrack non-linear video editor.
- GStreamer – A library for constructing graphs of media-handling components.
- KFR – Fast, modern C++ DSP framework, DFT/FFT, Audio resampling, FIR/IIR, Biquad, EBU R 128.
- L-SMASH – A rigidly spec-compliant ISOBMFF library, which has full DASH muxing support.
- LibAV – Open source audio and video processing tools.
- libbw64 – Header-only Broadcast Wave 64 (ITU-R BS.2088) C++11 library.
- libear – A C++11 library to render ADM content according to Recommendation ITU-R BS.2127.
- Libebur128 – A library that implements the EBU R 128 standard for loudness normalisation.
- Loudness Validator – A set of applications to analyse, visualise and correct the loudness.
- MXFLib – A multi-platform C++ library for reading and writing MXF files.
- OBS-Studio – Software for live streaming and screen recording.
- Open Broadcast Encoder – Broadcast encoder built from Open Source components.
- rgain – Tools and Python library to read, write and calculate Replay Gain.
- rtmp – Server implementation of Adobe’s RTMP 1.0 protocol in Go.
- Snowmix – Live Video Mixer.
- SoX – The Swiss Army knife of sound processing programs.
- TuttleOFX – An open source image processing framework based on OpenFX plugin standard.
- UPipe – Primarily designed to be the core of a multimedia player, transcoder or streamer.
- VideoContext – Experimental HTML5/WebGL library for creating interactive and responsive web videos.
- Voctomix – Customizable conference recording/mixing/streaming software based on Python and GStreamer.
Network & Storage Testing
- BBC Media Storage Meter – An application for the testing of network attached (professional media) storage.
- Fio – Flexible I/O Tester
- iPerf3 – The TCP, UDP and SCTP network bandwidth measurement tool.
- SMPTE 2110-20 Analyzer – Analyzer to inspect network packets generated in accordance with SMPTE ST 2110.
The Networked Media Open Specifications are themselves open source.
- AMWA NMOS Testing Tool – Automated test suites for the AMWA NMOS family of specifications, as used in the JT-NM Tested programme
- BBC NMOS Joint Reference Implementation – A Vagrant provisioning to build 4 virtual machines, an IS-04/IS-05 Node, IS-04 Registry, BCP-003-02 Authorisation Server, and the NMOS Testing Tool.
- Easy-NMOS – A starter kit that allows the user to launch a simple NMOS setup with minimal installation steps, composed of three Docker containers: an NMOS Registry, a virtual NMOS Node, and the AMWA NMOS Testing Tool.
- nmos-cpp – An implementation of the AMWA Networked Media Open Specifications in C++, including an NMOS Registry and a toolkit and example of building an NMOS Node.
- nmos-js – A simple browser-based NMOS Client/Controller with an IS-04 Registry browser and IS-05 Connection Management.
- Airtime – Radio management application for remote broadcast automation (via web-based schedule).
- Ardour – A digital audio workstation.
- Audacity – Cross-platform software for recording and editing sounds.
- AzuraCast – A self-hosted web radio management suite.
- LibreTime – Radio broadcast & automation platform (fork of Airtime).
- Liquidsoap – A Swiss army knife for multimedia streaming (documentation).
- OpenBroadcaster Open Source LPFM IPTV Broadcast Automation. Server and Player code here.
- RAAR – A ruby application to manage and browse an audio archive.
- Rivendell – Complete radio broadcast automation solution, translated to many languages and used worldwide.
- GNU Radio – A software development toolkit that provides signal processing blocks to implement software radios.
- Gqrx SDR – An open source software defined radio receiver (SDR).
- ODR-mmbTools – Fork of CRC-mmbTools. Adds live, DAB+, associated data, distributed infrastructure, SFN.
- rtl-sdr – Turns a Realtek RTL2832 based DVB dongle into a SDR receiver.
- welle.io – An open source DAB and DAB+ software defined radio (SDR) with support for airspy and rtlsdr.
- CCExtractor – A tool that analyzes video files and produces stand-alone subtitle files.
- EBU-TT-D Subtitling within dash.js – dash.js fork with EBU-TT-D subtitles in HTML/CSS overlay. Later added to dash.js.
- EBU-TT-D W3C XML Schema – Informative EBU-TT-D XML Schema to support the implementation of EBU Tech 3380.
- EBU-TT Live Interoperability Toolkit – Components for generating, testing and distributing EBU-TT Live subtitles.
- GStreamer TTML subtitling package – A means for GStreamer pipelines to parse and render EBU-TT-D (TTML) subtitles.
- IRT EBU-TT-D Application Samples – EBU-TT-D sample files, PNG images and mp4 videos as rendering references.
- Subtitle Edit – An editor for subtitles.
- Subtitling Conversion Framework (SCF) – Modules for converting subtitle formats, incl. EBU STL and EBU-TT files.
- Timed Text Toolkit (ttt) – Tools that support/use the W3C Timed Text Markup Language (TTML).
- MIDIMonster – Lightweight adapter tool for common show control protocols.
- Open Lighting Architecture (OLA) – Travel adaptor for the lighting industry, for interconnecting DMX-512, IP and USB.
- Q Light Controller+ (QLC+) – Cross-platform control of DMX or analogue lighting systems (heads, dimmers, etc.).
- Teleprompter – Web browser and standalone Electron app prompter.
- Owncast – Selfhosted video streaming plattform (https://owncast.online/)
- Shoutcast – SHOUTcast DNAS is cross-platform proprietary software for streaming media over the Internet. The software, developed by Nullsoft, is available free of charge.
- Shoutca.st – cheap SHOUTcast and Icecast servers with some great extras including free streaming for non-profit organizations.
- BBC News Labs – Open Source projects from BBC News Labs.
- BBC R&D – BBC Research and Development. Checkout the weekly notes.
- 3D CineCast – A curation about new media technologies.
- Canal+ – CANAL+ Open Source Community.
- IRT Lab – IRT blog posting developments and demos for all digital audiovisual media technology.
- The Netflix Tech Blog – A Netflix blog focused on technology and technology issues.
- Youtube Engineering and Developers Blog – What’s happening with engineering and developers at YouTube.
Print Share Comment Cite Upload Translate Updates
Radio Free | Radio Free (2023-04-01T07:57:49+00:00) » Resources. Retrieved from https://www.radiofree.org/resources/.MLA
" » Resources." Radio Free | Radio Free - Saturday April 24, 2021, https://www.radiofree.org/resources/HARVARD
Radio Free | Radio Free Saturday April 24, 2021 » Resources., viewed 2023-04-01T07:57:49+00:00,<https://www.radiofree.org/resources/>VANCOUVER
Radio Free | Radio Free - » Resources. [Internet]. [Accessed 2023-04-01T07:57:49+00:00]. Available from: https://www.radiofree.org/resources/CHICAGO
" » Resources." Radio Free | Radio Free - Accessed 2023-04-01T07:57:49+00:00. https://www.radiofree.org/resources/IEEE
" » Resources." Radio Free | Radio Free [Online]. Available: https://www.radiofree.org/resources/. [Accessed: 2023-04-01T07:57:49+00:00]rf:citation
» Resources | Radio Free | Radio Free | https://www.radiofree.org/resources/ | 2023-04-01T07:57:49+00:00
To access this feature you must login or create an account.